League of Women Voters of the Charlottesville Area"The League of Women Voters encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy."
Concurrence Meeting on Education Study – Held January 16.
A Concurrence Meeting on the Education Study Updates was held on Sunday, January 16. A YouTube video of this meeting can be viewed at: https://youtu.be/PGDJFGCGhYI
Concurrence: Agreement by League members with a position on an issue reached by a small group of members or by another League. Proposed updates based on restudy of the LWV CVA Education Position:
- Support for cost-effective secure high speed internet access throughout the Charlottesville Area.
- Support for curriculum and programs that enable students to critically evaluate information found on the internet and in other media including skills to understand individual rights and privacy.
Questions for membership:
- How do the Virginia Standards of Learning for K-12 support computer science curriculum in the classroom? How are these Standards related to the Standards for other major areas of Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Reading?
- What expectations are already in place as a result of the Standards of Learning that enable students to critically evaluate information found on the internet and in other media including skills to understand individual rights and privacy? Why should the LWV CVA support these curriculum and programs?
- Does LWV CVA have adequate evidence from investigating access to high-speed internet in the Charlottesville Area to show support for cost-effective secure high speed internet access in area public schools.
Check out the Education Study Report prepared by the LWV CVA study group. The report contains the current “Local Position on Education” along with the documented materials supporting the suggested updates.
For further information about LWV CVA Program Planning, contact Carol Cutler, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
League of Women Voters
of the Charlottesville Area
PO Box 2786
Charlottesville, VA 22902
© 2022 LWV CVA. All Rights Reserved.